Some people grumble because roses have thorns; I am thankful that some thorns have roses







Pages

prayer changes things

Can't help it....

My photo
Medina, Ohio, United States
I would rather go to a flea market and dig through old boxes of stuff...than go to the Mall. I am a romantic at heart. I like the cozy feeling I get in a room decorated with tea-dyed lace curtains at the windows and old leather books stacked on oak shelves worn from many years of use. I prefer hard wood floors with hand braided wool rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpeting. I love hand sewn quilts on beds with pillows that have pillowcases with embroidery accenting the edges. and kitchens with vintage flowered dishes in the cupboards... I was just born in the wrong era. The 1930's would have suited me much better.... Oh well, I have adjusted as best I can. When I come home at night, I enter my little world, that is full of all my treasures, and wonderful finds from the past. I am happy. I own an antique shop that is located in the Historic Train Depot in Medina Ohio. Built in 1894. Medina Depot Antiques was opened on November 5th 1994...and I've been having a great time ever since. Antiques, and what they represent, are my passion.

Monday, January 18, 2010

How it started...

My passion for antiques started when I was little. My family lived in a small community where there was a local dump. On Saturdays my dad would load our garbage bags from the week into our '56 Buick and take them to the bump. I always made sure I went. There was all kinds of things there. I loved it. Not many people thought about recycling then. When an item was of no use any more to them ...it was brought to this big field of discarded items... and added to it. The garbage was thrown on one side but metal and other household items on the other...that was where I always headed. I would find pretty floral dishes ( a few chips here or there didn't bother me) and small pots and pans to play house with. Once I found an old doll buggy that was in really good shape. I collected old bottles, dug up an old radio that even worked, tubes still intact.
Dad would help me load up my treasures. Home we would head where Mom and I would scrub everything with Spic-n-Span...

No comments:

Post a Comment