Some people grumble because roses have thorns; I am thankful that some thorns have roses







Pages

prayer changes things

Can't help it....

My photo
Medina, Ohio, United States
I would rather go to a flea market and dig through old boxes of stuff...than go to the Mall. I am a romantic at heart. I like the cozy feeling I get in a room decorated with tea-dyed lace curtains at the windows and old leather books stacked on oak shelves worn from many years of use. I prefer hard wood floors with hand braided wool rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpeting. I love hand sewn quilts on beds with pillows that have pillowcases with embroidery accenting the edges. and kitchens with vintage flowered dishes in the cupboards... I was just born in the wrong era. The 1930's would have suited me much better.... Oh well, I have adjusted as best I can. When I come home at night, I enter my little world, that is full of all my treasures, and wonderful finds from the past. I am happy. I own an antique shop that is located in the Historic Train Depot in Medina Ohio. Built in 1894. Medina Depot Antiques was opened on November 5th 1994...and I've been having a great time ever since. Antiques, and what they represent, are my passion.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Medina...and, The Heirloom Cupboard

Medina, Ohio is a quaint little town. Big beautiful homes line the streets leading up to the Square. Many Painted Lady's can be appreciated on those streets... just so you know... I am not referring to beautiful women wearing makeup. I am referring to the big beautiful homes all painted in bright multi colors. The more colors the better, to embellish and enhance their many architectual details. Most of the homes were built around the 1880's through the 1915 era. So the homes were built in the Victorian and Edwardian styles. The difference between a Victorian house from an Edwardian, is basicly when it was built...as far as I can tell, except the Edwardian homes do seem to have less gables and a more flat style roof, but the brick-brack is still in abundance. These homes were called Victorian up until Queen Victoria died in 1901...the ones built after that, were called Edwardian. But I digress! My point was Medina has a wonderful selection of Painted Lady's. I never tire of looking at them.



At the center of town we have the Square. A lovely place with a big white gazebo in the center with paths from all four corners leading up to it. Huge trees and formal gardens abound. There is even a big military cannon on the west side of the Gazebo that the children love to climb on. Benches are strategically placed so strollers and dog walkers, or people with a good book, can sit and read, relax, or gaze in any direction and enjoy a scenic view.



Back in 1993, though, if I visited the Square, it wasn't to sit on a bench and relax. It was usually because I needed something from the old hardware store on the block just south of there. A very cool place in itself. But I always hurried through there, to make time to go three doors down to "The Heirloom Cupboard". A wonderful antique shop. I'd always stand in front first, and gaze into the windows on each side of the door. They changed the displays in the windows on the first of each month and you never knew what would be in there to see. Then I would step up the big step and open the big heavy door and walk in, as the brass bell on the door announced my entry. The Heirloom Cupboard had a smell all it's own. I always stopped after I had shut the door to fill my lungs with the mixture of lavender and furniture polish, candles and "old." I loved this place. I was stepping back in time ...and felt very much at home there.

No comments:

Post a Comment