Some people grumble because roses have thorns; I am thankful that some thorns have roses







Pages

prayer changes things

Can't help it....

My photo
Medina, Ohio, United States
I would rather go to a flea market and dig through old boxes of stuff...than go to the Mall. I am a romantic at heart. I like the cozy feeling I get in a room decorated with tea-dyed lace curtains at the windows and old leather books stacked on oak shelves worn from many years of use. I prefer hard wood floors with hand braided wool rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpeting. I love hand sewn quilts on beds with pillows that have pillowcases with embroidery accenting the edges. and kitchens with vintage flowered dishes in the cupboards... I was just born in the wrong era. The 1930's would have suited me much better.... Oh well, I have adjusted as best I can. When I come home at night, I enter my little world, that is full of all my treasures, and wonderful finds from the past. I am happy. I own an antique shop that is located in the Historic Train Depot in Medina Ohio. Built in 1894. Medina Depot Antiques was opened on November 5th 1994...and I've been having a great time ever since. Antiques, and what they represent, are my passion.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Queen of the Victorian look...

Karen was another dealer in the Heirloom. Karen was a serious " this is a business" type person. She was competitive and worked hard. I was intimidated by her but I wasn't alone...most of the dealers in the shop were too. They gave her a wide birth to not make her mad.

That said I need to say I did like her. She viewed the Heirloom as a work place not a social thing so when everyone was getting together to chat she took no part, except to throw a comment over her shoulder at us, as she steadily worked on her area. When Jane was in Florida, Karen was the gal in charge and she did a good job.

I liked Karen's spot a lot. She was mainly Victorian in her theme and she had beautiful things. Medina being a Victorian town , and at the time the "Victorian look" was also popular in the lady's magazines. She did very well. I never saw her house but I was told by Liz that it was a big farm house, done totally in Victorian style. I can only imagine how beautiful it was. She was a detail person, so I am sure every nook and cranny had a treasure in it.

When I did open my own antique shop, Karen was one of the dealers that asked to rent a space from me. I was surprised, and thilled to have a really well known dealer in it. But....she knew that a shop's Grand Opening was a draw. and sales would be good. I opened my shop in November so as to get the boost of the holiday shopping. She knew this and like I said, she was a business woman. After the season was over, January 2nd I went to my shop...and she had moved out. It would have been nice had she told me first. That was 15 years ago.

Karen was blonde and dressed in pretty cotton dresses all summer long. I liked that and vowed to wear dresses more often. She had a son in my daughter Kassidy's class. I never saw her at any school function. Her son didn't participate in any sports or extra activities. I hadn't seen Karen in years, but recently an exclusive beauty salon in Medina had an ad on a cable channel for "Appreciation of Their Staff ", and Karen was in the picture as the salon's masseuse! I guess this means she had found a new career, and left the antiquing business.

Two weeks ago I was at the drive-in of my bank, waiting for my receipt to come down in the tube to me. A lady in the next isle was leaning out of her car, the car door half open, she was waving and yelling at me...I looked over and listened. The lady called," I know you! Hi ! How are you ?

It was Karen. She was smiling and friendly.
I yelled back Hi!...fine!! Nice to see you! "
What a shock...I hadn't talked to or seen her for at least 10 years.
I have to say...that made my day.

I made another vow...I'm going to check out the salon she is working at, because she looked really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment