Some people grumble because roses have thorns; I am thankful that some thorns have roses







Pages

prayer changes things

Can't help it....

My photo
Medina, Ohio, United States
I would rather go to a flea market and dig through old boxes of stuff...than go to the Mall. I am a romantic at heart. I like the cozy feeling I get in a room decorated with tea-dyed lace curtains at the windows and old leather books stacked on oak shelves worn from many years of use. I prefer hard wood floors with hand braided wool rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpeting. I love hand sewn quilts on beds with pillows that have pillowcases with embroidery accenting the edges. and kitchens with vintage flowered dishes in the cupboards... I was just born in the wrong era. The 1930's would have suited me much better.... Oh well, I have adjusted as best I can. When I come home at night, I enter my little world, that is full of all my treasures, and wonderful finds from the past. I am happy. I own an antique shop that is located in the Historic Train Depot in Medina Ohio. Built in 1894. Medina Depot Antiques was opened on November 5th 1994...and I've been having a great time ever since. Antiques, and what they represent, are my passion.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

those wonderful hand painted trays

Notice what a nice effect a hand-painted tray has ...used as a backdrop in a display...

Hand-painted trays are very collectible and are both beautiful and useful. The serving tray is a symbol of hospitality. Almost anything... sparkling crystal glasses filled with iced tea, an assortment of elegant appetizers. a selection of rich desserts – or even just finger sandwiches, all look more inviting when arranged on a serving tray lined with a paper lace doily.
I have a small collection of hand-painted metal trays that I've picked up in my wanderings over the years. None are truly antiques – most are from the 1940's through the 1960's – but each one has a certain vintage charm. Some are simple and round with a single rose painted in the center. Others are more elaborate with cut-out handles or fluted and scrolled rims.

My favorite one is the black one I have pictured here. It is from the 40's and artist signed.

These trays are often mistakenly called "tole" trays because they are painted in the folk-painting style which uses certain strokes to create the image of flowers and other objects and effects. But tole painting is a specifically French term.
Tole painting is a more disciplined style of painting...where as these trays are painted free-style.
Painted metal trays have been popular in this country since colonial times. Later they were mass produced by companies like Nashco Products in New York.
Painting on tin continues to be a popular craft.
Most of my trays are black, which is the traditional color. But I also look for other colors, particularly sage green and dark red, but one of my favorites happens to be one painted yellow with sunflowers ( I have it pictured here).
It is obvious that the vintage trays I find have been well-used because the paint is faded and scratched. I like that shabby chic look. A few, in better condition, have spent their time on display. They make a dramatic effect when hung strategically on a wall. A number of the trays in my collection are scattered throughout other rooms of my house. They make great backdrops for grouping of things on display.
Some would say that these trays aren't art pieces because they don't have the same quality as the truly rare examples of hand-painted tin that were created more than 100 years ago. That doesn't matter to me. Most of my trays were painted by amateurs, people like you and me. I admire the time and energy that went into the colorful, stylized flowers and geometric designs painted on each one. I recently bought 12 plain trays at an restaurant auction...they are oval ,black and about 14"x 10"and they are already worn from years of use. I can't wait to paint them! Oh, if we didn't have to sleep, there might be enough time in a day to get done what we want to do!
Painted metal trays had increased in value up until the mid 1990's but because of them being so readily available on E Bay and other online auctions the prices have dipped. The artist-signed ones have held their value.
We're entering the season of entertaining, a time when our homes are opened to friends and family for cookouts and picnics. It's the perfect time to bring out a pretty tray!...

Listen for the compliments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment